Friday, March 19, 2010

Mission Madness

Kelly at Kelly's Korner is doing a Show Us Your Life: Mission Trips today so I thought it would be fun to reminisce and share.
A few summers ago, during my last year of OT school, I went with some other students on a mission trip with Students International. They are a great and reputable organization that does wonderful missions in a few different countries. We went to Dominican Republic. Students International does a great job with finding areas where the countries could use help but also area where the students can use the skills they have learned in school. They have missions in health clinics, schools,and construction. We were able to work in a great school, Centro Especial Genesis. Here is a link to the blog of one of the OT's who is currently in the DR working at the school full time.
This was one of the best experiences of my life. Here are some pictures. I had to scan them in, sorry for the poor quality.

This is the boy who would show up everyday around lunch time, no shoes, same clothes. We would always pack a little extra.

This is Juan-Ramone. So smart and look at those eyes!

This is the school. It was used to be a night club and brothel. The top level is now a church (used to be the dance club), and the in the lower levels are the classrooms (used to be the brothel). The therapy room is where the center, bottom doors are.

This is Danny. I would have smuggled him on the plane with me if I thought I could get away with it.


This is the night we went to a restaurant to eat dinner. I just wanted to show how great my hair did in that humidity!

BEAUTIFUL country.


Here is the hotel we stayed in the first night. Long story short we missed our flight in and ended up in the wrong city. They lost our luggage and we had to stay in a shady hotel. I was the only one who spoke any amount of Spanish and that was acquired from Spanish 1 and 2 in high school!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I would love to do a trip like this!! What an experience! Your pictures are beautiful!! Thank you for sharing!

Post a Comment