Monday, July 12, 2010

Compassion

When we were in San Francisco we were stopped in the street by a young guy who was working with Children International. He talked to us about sponsoring a child. Something I had always thought about doing but had never followed through with. The catch was that we had to decide right then, on the street, in the middle of our vacation. I have never been a spur of the moment person, especially with something like this. I promised the guy that when I got home I would do some research, but I just didn't feel right about signing the papers right then on a street corner. When we got home I had a tugging at my heart to follow through with my promise. I looked up Children International and found out that they have programs all over the world and have their only US program right here in LR. I keep reading but something just wasn't sitting right with me. Then I remembered Compassion. I had heard of Compassion from Kelly at Kelly's Korner. I went to their site and did a little more reading. Something that stood out to me about Compassion was reading this...
Why does it cost more to sponsor a child through Compassion than similar child sponsorship organizations?
Compassion is a holistic child development ministry that focuses on the full development of the child. Because of that, we release children from poverty, not merely sustain them through it. Many organizations focus on only one aspect of poverty

Releasing children from poverty, not merely sustain them through it! This was it. I signed up.

There are TONS of kids needing sponsorship and you can browse and search for certain criteria. I, of course, couldn't make a decision so I'm letting Compassion choose for me and send one the the kids most in need. I got an e-mail right after signing up. I will be receiving the sponsorship packet in the mail within the next 15 days! I am so excited to see who, boy/girl/age/country, I will be paired with. I'll keep you posted.

After reading nearly all of Compassion website I can truly say that I am proud to be one of their sponsors. They are very creditable and child/Christ oriented. I encourage you to at least go take a look. There many ways to give. Even if it is a one time gift or your prayers.

1 comment:

katandkarl said...

that's amazing! for real.

Post a Comment