Sunday, July 18, 2010

I say Sherbert you say Sorbet

Actually they are two different things. After juicing the watermelon yesterday I put it in the fridge to cool. Hindsight twenty-twenty. I should have added the sugar yesterday then put it in the fridge so it would dissolve better. I could have used powdered sugar but didn't have any so I put the sugar in the microwave with a little water to dissolve it then added it to the cold watermelon juice. You want the juice going into the ice cream maker to be cold so it freezes faster. So for the sorbet you combine ~1 cup of sugar, and 4 cups of watermelon juice. You can also add a teaspoon or two of lemon juice for good measure.

Put all this in the ice cream maker, mix for about 30 minutes then put in the freezer to continue setting up. It's a little sweet. Maybe because the watermelon was so sweet. But other than that I it really good.

For the sherbert I used 4 cups of watermelon and disolved 1/3 cup of sugar in it. Added 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk, 2 cups of skim milk, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Put it all in the mixer for ~30 min then to the freezer. It hasn't quite set up and the mixture has funny taste to it. I can't put my finger on it and I am hoping it's because it's not cold enough yet.

This afternoon after church and sorbet making I started sewing. I started this project a few weeks ago and got really frustrated in the middle of it. The project is for a girl I work with. She is having her 3rd boy. She had said she wanted matching big bro/lil bro shirts for them. I offered to do it for her. I had finished all the front of the shirts and decided it would be a good idea to embroider their names on the back. Half way through the last shirt I realized I was embroidering through the back and front of the shirt and it ripped a hole in it when I tried to undo it!!! I was so mad! I stooped working on it until this afternoon. Looking at the work that been done I decided I didn't like the backs and redid it all. I had to take the embroidery out of the back. (I didn't want to start a whole new shirt because I had already finished the front.)

Then I had the imprints of the stitching on the back so I had to get creative.

This is what I can out with.

I have learned that my machine embroiders much better on cotton knit rather that on the t-shirts. The t-shirted aren't woven as tight and tend to pull and get holes easier.
Here is the final project.

Sewing is definitely one of those activities in which you learn something new every time you do it.

1 comment:

The Shepherds said...

Those shirts are cute, cute!!!!!

Post a Comment