Friday, September 24, 2010

New York Day #4

On Wednesday morning I had great plans to get up early and try to go to Macy's since I really hadn't had time to do much shopping. Well that plan fell through. Coby got up early to head to the last day of his conference and I barely woke up when he left. I didn't have my alarm set and ended up sleeping until 10!! I was so mad that I had wasted my last morning in NYC but I obviously needed the sleep and was actually grateful because that night I had energy and didn't get too tired. Coby came back to the hotel and we went out to get some NYC style pizza for lunch. I was good. I had mozzarella and basil. Yum. Then we got on the train and headed toward the World Trade Center remembrance center. If you ever get a chance to go I highly recommend it. We couldn't really see the actual spot where the Twin Towers once stood. They are doing major construction on the site and had the area fenced off. We did go into the "museum" and it was so moving! Here are some pictures. Wall of missing persons flier. Wall of deceased loved ones. These origami swans hung from the ceiling in the stair well. So beautiful. A piece of re bar and metal from the buildings. Next door was the fire department and a memorial. Across the street where construction is going on. Here is a video as well. After that we went to Battery Park. We were planing on taking a ferry from there that night for a chef gala we were attending. We were trying to find out where we needed to get to. Battery Park was great. Fountains, sculptures, grassy area, a lots of vendors. We were able to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island from the shore. We then headed back to the hotel to shower and get ready for the RisingStar Chef Gala. We rode the water taxi over. This was great fun. We were able to sit on the top, had a great setting sun, and great views. Here are some pictures. The gala was good. A little disorganized at first but we ended up having a great time. We began talking to some people and found out that he was a representative from Autism Speaks and they were the beneficiaries of the event. How neat is that!? There were about eleven chef who all made great dishes and all the dishes had wine pairings. And look who was there! Here is a picture of us (me with shorter, darker hair) on the subway going back to the hotel. We had a really great time although not enough of it. There are still so many things that I would like to do including going to some of the museums, Seridipity, more shows, and more of Central Park. Guess we'll have to go back soon;)

No comments:

Post a Comment